Monday, October 1, 2012

Hit Me With Your Best Shot…

You know, I often try very hard to see things from both sides. I want to make sure that I treat people like I want to be treated. I don’t like to fight dirty and I hate confrontation. I have been this way since I was a kid. I am also a “deflector.” I tend to lead with niceness and good things to say, because as a plus size person in this world, it helps avoid any sort of negative connotation or confrontation for the most part.
Now, that’s not to say that I’m not a “defender.” I don’t like when people or other living things are picked on. I don’t like to be picked on. I can be just as catty with my friends as the next person, but I try not to be. I don’t like to have my fun at the expense of those around me and don’t appreciate it when it happens to me.
A healthy argument or disagreement can strengthen some relationships. We all have opinions and can agree to disagree. We can learn from each other and expand our horizons. Knowledge is power.
It’s hard to believe that there are people my age out there that still behave like they haven’t aged or time hasn’t touched them. Like they aren’t carrying an extra 20 pounds or they haven’t lost a whole lot of hair from their heads.  I'd like to ask, “Have YOU looked in a real mirror, lately? Maybe you should tell me where you bought your magic mirror so that I can get one too?”
You can have a conversation about a personal situation or relationship, but when you say something the other person doesn’t want to hear, it tends to get ignored or unabsorbed. They hear you, but they aren’t listening. It forces you to repeat yourself or reaffirm your feelings or decisions. When that happens, you can come across as a bitch. I used to think that was a bad thing; not so much anymore.
I have recently had an experience where someone close to me attempted to hit me below the belt. They used things that would most certainly bother me and did it with apparent pleasure. I say “attempted” because the plan backfired.
Instead of hurting me, it gave me even more resolve to follow the path I am taking. It could have knocked me off my feet, but instead it made me stronger. I wanted to rip them apart at the seams, shred their feelings to ribbons. I have the power and knowledge to do exactly that; I know their strengths and weaknesses. But what would that accomplish? I was not going to sink to that level of meanness; that’s not who I am.
I don’t like to fight, but I will stick up for myself. I am a smart woman; I can take a whole lot before I will let anyone or anything get the best of me. An important reminder to this little entry is to make sure that you can take it, before you dish it out. You might not be so lucky to have someone hold back. Your personal feelings come first; remember to protect them, always. Mean people just suck, they are probably very lonely, but they deserve whatever they get. With love…

No comments:

Post a Comment