Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Times Like These…

I hope that you are enjoying the summer weather. I know that it's been really hot, but that's what summer is all about.

I recently hosted my annual “ladies only” pool party. 20 of my girlfriends came over for an afternoon of sunshine, swimming, music and laughter. New friends meet old friends; we connect and converse. It’s a time like this that reminds me of girl power. You know, that power of intelligent friendship that can get you through anything. We need that share time, to talk, to laugh, and even to cry a little. A bit of respite in a world that can be tough sometimes. This was a very good time.

I had the opportunity to listen to a really great band a couple of weeks back. They did 80s and 90s covers and they ROCKED the house. Now I’m certain that there would be those who might say that to stand up on a stage, playing the music and singing the lyrics of others, would be a sellout. I’m not one of those folks. The band members played their instruments flawlessly and sang just about perfectly and seemed to have a blast doing it. I had a blast singing out loud, recalling the times I’ve heard that song before and I was grinning from ear to ear. It’s a time like this that reminds me that it doesn’t matter how you use your personal talents, as long as they are feeding a need in you, they will feed one in those around you. It doesn’t matter if the material is original or someone else’s, if you are doing something you love and entertaining me while you’re at it? That’s the best part!

Spending moments with people you love and who love you back. Getting past the negative influences and embracing the positive. Breaking down the walls you built around your heart and mind for protection. Taking steps to remind yourself of the good times in your life. These are all things that will help you get through times like these, where the world seems to be worn out, tired, crabby, and a little bleak. Changing your thinking will change your life. It’s true, it works, just try it sometime.

I know that it’s a little hard to believe, but things will get better for everyone. Personally, professionally, anywhere you need it. It’s time to reach out and work a little harder for what you want, what you desire. Say what’s on your mind, feel the real emotion, don’t overthink. If you let things flow, back and forth, try not to worry or question motives, new relationships can be built, current ones can improve and toxic ones can be removed. It’s a life worth living that belongs to you. Enjoy it for as long as you can…with love…

No comments:

Post a Comment