Friday, January 6, 2012

Lay Down Your Pain

I have spent the last 18 hours in a state of anger and frustration. It happens to the best of us; things don’t go our way, people around us don’t seem to be cooperating, and everything feels wrong and aggravating. I really hate spending brain power or energy on the negativity, but I can’t help it – or can I?
Let’s just say that life has been challenging for me for a while. Not only medically, but occasionally in my professional life, most definitely in my personal life. One of the challenges that I have decided to face going forward is to release the things that I cannot change and embrace the things that I can. I don’t know why, but I’m in shock and awe at the effort that it takes!
It’s becoming a painful process that causes me to worry. Will I make it through? Will I get to the other side of this process? The side where things get better and that I can live my life with less aggravation, irritation, pain and stress? With determination and perseverance, I am hopeful that my life might become a little easier and more fluid with time.
What can I do about it now? I can start by not taking things too personally.  I don’t have control of what those in my life say or do, I only have control of my reactiveness. I will work hard to face obstacles with a sense of calm. I will try to take a deep breath, if time allows, and make a decision that is good for me. I am entitled to have an opinion about what others say or do, but I don’t have to share them. I will mind the business of my own life; there is enough on my plate without micro-managing. I will continue to support and love my friends and family with genuine warmth and compassion. But it’s important to do it in a manner that doesn’t hurt me or anyone else in the process.
Life shouldn’t have to be as painful as it is at times. Unfortunately, there will be occasions where it can’t be helped. Fortunately, there will also be occasions where you will have the opportunity to take it on or not. It’s time to let go of the anger, frustration, and unhappiness. To lay down the pain, let it rest and take time to rejuvenate your strength. Be diligent in the awareness of what you are willing to give of yourself. You can’t be good to others unless you are good to you. This is not selfishness, but self-preservation…with love…

No comments:

Post a Comment