Thursday, January 5, 2012

The Written Word Versus The Spoken Word

I have been writing a lot about my passion for the written word. I am a lover of reading, so writing seems a natural progression to me. I appreciate the English language and I will admit that misspelled words make my brain hurt. I know that sounds a little nutty, but it is what it is. I was able to read and spell at an early age, thanks to my Corporal Grandfather Buckley drilling it into my head. At the time, I didn't appreciate it, but with maturity I have embraced it.

When you put pen to paper or fingers to keyboard, you expect the person reading to absorb and interpret. When the reader knows you and they read what you write, the interpretation becomes a little more personal. Now that can be a good thing or a bad thing. I write from my experiences and from my heart. I want to weed through the bad and embrace the good. I am always hopeful that those desires come through in my writing.

Speaking to each other is always the better choice. If it's on the phone, tone, inflection, and volume are taken in along with the words said. We pay closer attention to what we say and what we hear. Having a "face time" conversation is best, in my humble opinion. While tone, inflection, and volume are taken into the conversation at a higher level, the look in the eyes, the expression on the face, makes the words spoken more crystal clear.

I have decided lately that I am not a fan of texting. I appreciate it for situations where it's not possible for me to have a conversation, but in general it feels impersonal to me, not real talking. It seems like the art of conversation is getting lost somehow. Trying to have a "conversation" via text is frustrating to me. You attempt to sum up something relatively important in a limited number of characters. I find it exhausting and I am giving up having text conversations. Text me if you are going to be late. Text me a phone number that's better to call on or that you have time to talk. Text me if you want to get together and have some face time with me. I have a tremendous fear that future generations will not be able to spell at all and have giant mutated thumbs from texting!

I have a large amount of love and respect for the written word, but the spoken word is more honest, truthful, and appreciated. Pick up the phone and have a conversation. Better yet, pick up the phone to make plans to have some face time. Having a lovely, lengthy conversation with someone you care about and that cares about you is always the better communication choice...make it a habit...with love...

No comments:

Post a Comment